NIMH envisions a world in which mental illnesses are prevented and cured.
The mission of NIMH is to transform the understanding and treatment of mental illnesses through basic and clinical research, paving the way for prevention, recovery, and cure.
For the Institute to continue fulfilling this vital public health mission, it must foster innovative thinking and ensure that a full array of novel scientific perspectives are used to further discovery in the evolving science of brain, behavior, and experience. In this way, breakthroughs in science can become breakthroughs for all people with mental illnesses.
Offices and Divisions
- Office of the NIMH Director
- Division of Neuroscience and Basic Behavioral Science (DNBBS)
- Division of Adult Translational Research and Treatment Development (DATR)
- Division of Developmental Translational Research (DDTR)
- Division of AIDS Research (DAR)
- Division of Services and Intervention Research (DSIR)
- Division of Extramural Activities (DEA)