News and Multimedia from 2010 Featuring DAR
- Children Carry Emotional Burden of AIDS Epidemic in China
- Science Update February 23, 2010
Having a parent with HIV/AIDS or losing one or both parents to the illness leads to poorer mental health among children in China, according to a recent study funded in part by NIMH. Published in the November–December 2009 issue of the Journal of Pediatric Psychology, the study also emphasizes the need to develop culturally and developmentally appropriate measures and interventions for diverse populations.
- Bundling HIV Prevention with Prenatal Care Reduces Risky Sex Behaviors Among At-risk Mothers
- Science Update February 22, 2010
An HIV-prevention program targeted at women receiving prenatal care may effectively reduce risks for HIV, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and unplanned future pregnancies, according to NIMH-funded researchers. Bundling such interventions into existing health care models, like prenatal care, also may be more accessible to those who may not have the time, interest, or resources to attend a stand-alone HIV prevention program. Changing the way prenatal care is provided also may create sustainable advantages in reproductive health for all at-risk women. The study was published in the November 2009 issue of the American Journal of Public Health.
- Teaching Teens About Abstinence May Delay Sexual Activity, Reduce Risk Behaviors
- Science Update February 02, 2010
Teens who received a behavioral intervention centered on abstinence were more likely to delay first sexual contact than teens who received a control intervention focusing on general health promotion, according to an NIMH-funded study. Though differing from federally funded abstinence-only programs, the researchers describe how an abstinence-based intervention may help delay sexual activity among adolescents in the February 2010 issue of the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.
- HIV Prevention Science Branch
- HIV Treatment and Translational Science Branch
- HIV Neuropathogenesis, Genetics, and Therapeutics Branch
- AIDS Research Centers Program
- Training, Fellowship, and Health Disparities Programs
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program and the Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) Program
- Division of AIDS Research