News and Multimedia from 2010 Featuring DATR
- Magnetic Stimulation Scores Modest Success as Antidepressant
- Press Release May 03, 2010
Some depressed patients who don’t respond to or tolerate antidepressant medications may benefit from a non-invasive treatment that stimulates the brain with a pulsing electromagnet, a study suggests. This first industry-independent, multi-site, randomized, tightly controlled trial of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) found that it produced significant antidepressant effects in a subgroup of patients, with few side effects.
- Genes and Circuitry, Not Just Clinical Observation, to Guide Classification for Research
- Science Update January 28, 2010
NIMH is launching a long-term project aimed at ultimately improving treatment and prevention by studying classification of mental illness, based on genetics and neuroscience in addition to clinical observation. The Research Domain Criteria (RDoC) project is not intended to replace psychiatry’s existing diagnostic system for practitioners and will proceed in an independent direction, said Bruce Cuthbert, Ph.D., Director of the NIMH Division of Adult Translational Research, who is directing the effort. By taking a fresh look – without preconceived categories – the project aims to improve the validity of classification for researchers.
- Just Over Half of Americans Diagnosed with Major Depression Receive Care
- Science Update January 04, 2010
Overall, only about half of Americans diagnosed with major depression in a given year receive treatment for it, and even fewer—about one fifth—receive treatment consistent with current practice guidelines, according to data from nationally representative surveys supported by NIMH. Among the ethnic/racial groups surveyed, African Americans and Mexican Americans had the lowest rates of use of depression care; all groups reported higher use of past-year psychotherapy vs. medication for depression.
- Adult Psychopathology and Psychosocial Intervention Research Branch
- Clinical Neuroscience Research Branch
- Geriatrics Research Branch
- Research Training and Career Development Program
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program and the Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) Program
- Traumatic Stress Research Program