Approximately 500 scientists work in the NIMH intramural research program. Intramural scientists range from molecular biologists working in laboratories to clinical researchers working with patients at the NIH Clinical Center. Although guided by a rigorous peer review system, intramural scientists are accorded unique flexibility in rapidly following up research leads and unexpected opportunities. Also, because it involves basic science as well as clinical trials, the program is structured to facilitate interdisciplinary studies.
Offices and Divisions
- Office of the NIMH Director
- Division of Neuroscience and Basic Behavioral Science (DNBBS)
- Division of Adult Translational Research and Treatment Development (DATR)
- Division of Developmental Translational Research (DDTR)
- Division of AIDS Research (DAR)
- Division of Services and Intervention Research (DSIR)
- Division of Extramural Activities (DEA)
- Division of Intramural Research Programs (DIRP)
More information on funding opportunities and extramural programs and contacts.