Deadlines and Where to Send Applications
- For up to date information on deadlines, please refer to submission dates/deadlines.
- Note important exceptions to these dates: grant applications submitted in response to Requests for Applications (RFA), and special Program Announcements (PARs ) that have special receipt dates as noted in that RFA and PAR.
- For electronically submitted applications, the applications should be submitted by 5 pm local time, on the due date.
- Applications in response to RFAs and PARs must be RECEIVED by the date stated in the announcement. This also applies to some mechanisms such as fellowships and training grants. Check the due dates carefully in the announcements.
- Check the submission schedule or the specific announcement for due dates and to find out whether your application should be postmarked or received on the dates specified in the announcement.
Late applications are not encouraged. See NIH Policy on Late Submission of Grant Applications for more information.
Where to Send Applications
Electronic Submission (using form SF 424 R&R)
- To submit an electronic application your institution must first register with grants.gov and the NIH eRA Commons , and you must have an individual eRA Commons account (received through your institution.)
- Download the application from the specific funding announcement or see Apply for Grant electronically.
- Refer to Electronic Submission for further information.
Submission by Mail (using form PHS 398)
- Center for Scientific Review National Institutes of Health 6701 Rockledge Drive, Room 1040/MSC 7710 Bethesda, MD 20892-7710 (Express Mail: Rockville, MD 20852)
- For paper PHS 398 submissions only: RFAs or special PAs may request that additional copies be sent to the Institute as well as to Center for Scientific Review (CSR); see the RFA or PA to which you are responding.
- Hand delivered applications are NOT ACCEPTED; for more information, see Mail Addressed to the National Institutes of Health.
- Information about the CSR address and delivery of applications is found under the Reminder and Clarification-Delivery of Competing Grant, Cooperative Agreement, and Fellowship Applications.
- Address labels for your grant application submission can be found at Mailing Address for Application (PDF, 2 pages).
- If you are responding to a specific PA or RFA make sure that you send it to the appropriate address listed on the announcement, as well as indicating the PA or RFA number on the face page.