Electronic Grant Submission
NIH is converting to electronic submission of grant applications. It is important to know the requirements and the dates for conversion to mandatory electronic grant submission. Go to the Electronic Grant Submission Web page for details, including the timeline for transitioning to electronic grant submission. Contact program staff for the most current information.
- Electronic applications are submitted using the PHS (Public Health Service) SF 424 R&R (research and related) online form. The online form can be found in the funding opportunity announcements (FOAs). See diagram below.
- Applications for grant mechanisms that are not set up for electronic submission should be submitted using PHS (Public Health Service) Form 398.
- To submit an electronic application your institution must first register with grants.gov and the NIH eRA Commons. You, as an individual PI, must obtain registration on the NIH eRA Commons (through your institution).
- If you have questions about what materials are appropriate to include as part of your application, contact the program officer. Reading the PHS 398 or SF 424 R&R instructions is often a good place to start.
- Contact Grants Management at 301-402-7111 for information regarding the administration of the grant and the preparation of the budget.
- If you plan on including human subjects in your grant application, please see the following instruction guides for the protection of Human Subjects and guidance resources for inclusion.
- Protection of Human Subjects:
- For electronic submission, download the application from the specific funding announcement or see the "Apply for Grant Electronically" button as noted in the sample PA below. All electronic applications must be submitted in response to a specific funding announcement.
Note: An Institution, Signing Official, and Principal Investigator must be registered in the eRA Commons prior to submitting an application. Applicants are highly encouraged to start the registration process at least four weeks prior to the grant submission date.