- What is attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD?
- Who can develop ADHD?
- What causes ADHD?
- What are the symptoms of ADHD?
- How do I know if my child has ADHD?
- How do children with ADHD get better?
- How can I help my child?
- How does ADHD affect teens?
- What can I do for my teen with ADHD?
- Can adults have ADHD too?
- Contact us to find out more about ADHD.
How do I know if my child has ADHD?
if your child has ADHD.
It can take months for a doctor or specialist to know if your child has ADHD. He or she needs time to watch your child and check for other problems. The specialist may want to talk to you, your family, your child's teachers, and others.
Sometimes it can be hard to diagnose a child with ADHD because symptoms may look like other problems. For example, a child may seem quiet and well-behaved, but in fact he or she is having a hard time paying attention and is often distracted. Or, a child may act badly in school, but teachers don't realize that the child has ADHD.
If your child is having trouble at school or at home and has been for a long time, ask his or her doctor about ADHD.