- What is attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD?
- Who can develop ADHD?
- What causes ADHD?
- What are the symptoms of ADHD?
- How do I know if my child has ADHD?
- How do children with ADHD get better?
- How can I help my child?
- How does ADHD affect teens?
- What can I do for my teen with ADHD?
- Can adults have ADHD too?
- Contact us to find out more about ADHD.
What causes ADHD?
No one knows for sure. ADHD probably comes from a combination of things. Some possibilities are:
- Genes, because the disorder sometimes runs in families
- Lead in old paint in and plumbing parts
- Smoking and drinking alcohol during pregnancy
- Certain brain injuries
- Food additives like artificial coloring, which might make hyperactivity worse.
Some people think refined sugar causes ADHD. But most research does not support the idea that sugar causes ADHD.