- Q. What is depression?
- Q. How does depression affect college students?
- Q. Are there different types of depression?
- Q. What are the signs and symptoms of depression?
- Q. What causes depression?
- Q. How can I find out if I have depression?
- Q. How is depression treated?
- Q. What are antidepressants?
- Q. If a doctor prescribes an antidepressant, how long will I have to take it?
- Q. What is psychotherapy?
- Q. If I think I may have depression, where can I get help?
- Q. How can I help myself if I am depressed?
- Q. How can I help a friend who is depressed?
- Q. What if I or someone I know is in crisis?
- Q. How can research help college students who have depression?
- For more information on depression
1. Eisenberg D, Golberstein E, Gollust SE. Help-seeking and access to mental health care in a university student population. Med Care. 2007 Jul;45(7):594–601. PubMed PMID: 17571007.
2. American College Health Association. American College Health Association-National College Health Assessment II: Reference Group Executive Summary Fall 2011. Hanover, MD: American College Health Association; 2012.
3. Eisenberg D, Gollust SE, Golberstein E, Hefner JL. Prevalence and correlates of depression, anxiety, and suicidality among university students. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2007 Oct;77(4):534–42. PubMed PMID: 18194033.
4. Cranford JA, Eisenberg D, Serras AM. Substance use behaviors, mental health problems, and use of mental health services in a probability sample of college students. Addict Behav. 2009 Feb;34(2):134–45. Epub 2008 Sep 17. PubMed PMID: 18851897.
5. Weitzman ER. Poor mental health, depression, and associations with alcohol consumption, harm, and abuse in a national sample of young adults in college. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2004 Apr;192(4):269–77. PubMed PMID: 15060400.
6. Griswold KS, Aronoff H, Kernan JB, Kahn LS. Adolescent substance use and abuse: recognition and management. Am Fam Physician. 2008 Feb 1;77(3):331–6. Review. PubMed PMID: 18297958.
7. Glantz MD, Anthony JC, Berglund PA, Degenhardt L, Dierker L, Kalaydjian A, Merikangas KR, Ruscio AM, Swendsen J, Kessler RC. Mental disorders as risk factors for later substance dependence: estimates of optimal prevention and treatment benefits. Psychol Med. 2009 Aug;39(8):1365–77. Epub 2008 Dec 2. PubMed PMID: 19046473; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2705467.
8. Garlow SJ, Rosenberg J, Moore JD, Haas AP, Koestner B, Hendin H, Nemeroff CB. Depression, desperation, and suicidal ideation in college students: results from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention College Screening Project at Emory University. Depress Anxiety. 2008;25(6):482–8. PubMed PMID: 17559087.
9. National Center for Health Statistics. Health, United States, 2011: With Special Feature on Socioeconomic Status and Health. Hyattsville, MD. 2012.
10. Kessler RC, Berglund P, Demler O, Jin R, Merikangas KR, Walters EE. Lifetime prevalence and age-of-onset distributions of DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005 Jun;62(6):593–602.
11. Mowbray CT, Megivern D, Mandiberg JM, Strauss S, Stein CH, Collins K, Kopels S, Curlin C, Lett R. Campus mental health services: recommendations for change. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2006 Apr;76(2):226–37. PubMed PMID: 16719642.
12. Hefner J, Eisenberg D. Social support and mental health among college students. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2009 Oct;79(4):491–9. PubMed PMID: 20099940.