- What is depression?
- Signs and Symptoms of Depression
- What is a stroke?
- How are depression and stroke linked?
- How is depression treated in people who have had a stroke?
- What is vascular depression?
- For More Information on Depression
- For More Information on Stroke
What is a stroke?
A stroke occurs when the blood supply to part of the brain is suddenly interrupted, such as when a blood vessel bursts or a clot blocks blood flow. Although strokes occur in and damage the brain, they can affect the whole body. Strokes may cause paralysis (the complete or partial loss of the ability to move), speech problems, or the inability to complete daily tasks. Sometimes these effects are temporary and sometimes they are permanent. Stroke survivors often need rehabilitation, therapy that helps people relearn skills or learn new skills. Rehabilitation and recovery are unique for each person.