- What is depression?
- What are the different forms of depression?
- What are the signs and symptoms of depression?
- What causes depression?
- Does depression look the same in everyone?
- How is depression treated?
- How can I help a loved one who is depressed?
- How can I help myself if I am depressed?
- Where can I go for help?
- What if I or someone I know is in crisis?
What causes depression?
Several factors, or a combination of factors, may contribute to depression.
Genes—people with a family history of depression may be more likely to develop it than those whose families do not have the illness.
Brain chemistry—people with depression have different brain chemistry than those without the illness.
Stress—loss of a loved one, a difficult relationship, or any stressful situation may trigger depression.