- What is depression?
- What are the different forms of depression?
- What are the signs and symptoms of depression?
- What causes depression in women?
- How is depression treated?
- How can I help a loved one who is depressed?
- How can I help myself if I am depressed?
- Where can I go for help?
- What if I or someone I know is in crisis?
How can I help a loved one who is depressed?
If you know someone who has depression, first help her see a doctor or mental health professional.
- Offer her support, understanding, patience, and encouragement.
- Talk to her, and listen carefully.
- Never ignore comments about suicide, and report them to her therapist or doctor.
- Invite her out for walks, outings, and other activities. If she says no, keep trying, but don't push her to take on too much too soon.
- Remind her that with time and treatment, the depression will lift.