- What is depression?
- What are the different forms of depression?
- What are the signs and symptoms of depression?
- What causes depression in women?
- How is depression treated?
- How can I help a loved one who is depressed?
- How can I help myself if I am depressed?
- Where can I go for help?
- What if I or someone I know is in crisis?
What are the different forms of depression?
The most common types of depression are:
- Major depression—severe symptoms that interfere with a woman's ability to work, sleep, study, eat, and enjoy life. An episode of major depression may occur only once in a person's lifetime. But more often, a person can have several episodes.
- Dysthymic disorder or dysthymia—depressive symptoms that last a long time (2 years or longer), but less severe than those of major depression.
- Minor depression—similar to major depression and dysthymia, but symptoms are less severe and may not last as long.