- What is depression?
- What are the different forms of depression?
- What are the signs and symptoms of depression in men?
- What causes depression in men?
- How is depression treated?
- How can I help a loved one who is depressed?
- How can I help myself if I am depressed?
- Where can I go for help?
- What if I or someone I know is in crisis?
- For more information on Men and Depression
What causes depression in men?
Several factors may contribute to depression in men.
Genes—men with a family history of depression may be more likely to develop it than those whose family members do not have the illness.
Brain chemistry and hormones—the brains of people with depression look different on scans than those of people without the illness. Also, the hormones that control emotions and mood can affect brain chemistry.
Stress—loss of a loved one, a difficult relationship or any stressful situation may trigger depression in some men.
Most of the time, it is likely a combination of these factors.