- What is depression?
- What are the different forms of depression?
- What are the signs and symptoms of depression?
- What causes depression?
- How is depression treated?
- How can I help a loved one who is depressed?
- How can I help myself if I am depressed?
- If you are in a crisis
- For more information on Older Adults and Depression
How can I help a loved one who is depressed?
If you know someone who has depression, first help him or her see a doctor or mental health professional.
- Offer support, understanding, patience, and encouragement.
- Talk to him or her, and listen carefully.
- Never ignore comments about suicide, and report them to your loved one’s therapist or doctor.
- Invite him or her out for walks, outings, and other activities.
- Remind him or her that with time and treatment, the depression will lift.