- What is depression?
- What are the different forms of depression?
- What are the signs and symptoms of depression?
- What causes depression?
- How is depression treated?
- How can I help a loved one who is depressed?
- How can I help myself if I am depressed?
- If you are in a crisis
- For more information on Older Adults and Depression
What are the different forms of depression?
There are several forms of depression. The most common forms are:
Major depression—severe symptoms that interfere with your ability to work, sleep, study, eat, and enjoy life. Some people may experience only a single episode within their lifetime, but more often a person may have multiple episodes.
Dysthymic disorder, or dysthymia—depressive symptoms that last a long time (2 years or longer) but are less severe than those of major depression.
Minor depression—similar to major depression and dysthymia, but symptoms are less severe and may not last as long.