- What is schizophrenia?
- What are the symptoms of schizophrenia?
- When does schizophrenia start and who gets it?
- Are people with schizophrenia violent?
- What about substance abuse?
- What causes schizophrenia?
- How is schizophrenia treated?
- How can you help a person with schizophrenia?
- What is the outlook for the future?
- For more information on schizophrenia
For more information on schizophrenia
For information on NIMH supported clinical trials, the Clinical trials at NIMH in Bethesda, MD or visit the National Library of Medicine Clinical Trials DatabaseExternal Link: Please review our disclaimer.
Information from NIMH is available in multiple formats. You can browse online, download documents in PDF, and order materials through the mail. Check the NIMH Web site for the latest information on this topic and to order publications.
If you do not have Internet access please contact the NIMH Information Center at the numbers listed below.
National Institute of Mental Health
Science Writing, Press & Dissemination Branch
6001 Executive Boulevard
Room 8184, MSC 9663
Bethesda, MD 20892-9663
Phone: 301-443-4513 or
1-866-615-NIMH (6464) toll-free
TTY: 866-415-8051 toll-free
Web site: http://www.nimh.nih.gov
NIMH publications are in the public domain and may be reproduced or copied without permission from the National Institute of Mental Health. NIMH encourages you to reproduce them and use them in your efforts to improve public health. Citation of the National Institute of Mental Health as a source is appreciated. However, using government materials inappropriately can raise legal or ethical concerns, so we ask you to use these guidelines:
- NIMH does not endorse or recommend any commercial products, processes, or services, and our publications may not be used for advertising or endorsement purposes.
- NIMH does not provide specific medical advice or treatment recommendations or referrals; our materials may not be used in a manner that has the appearance of such information.
- NIMH requests that non-Federal organizations not alter our publications in ways that will jeopardize the integrity and "brand" when using the publication.
- Addition of non-Federal Government logos and Web site links may not have the appearance of NIMH endorsement of any specific commercial products or services or medical treatments or services.
If you have questions regarding these guidelines and use of NIMH publications, please contact the NIMH Information Center at 1-866-615-6464 or e-mail at email@example.com.
The photos in this publication are of models and are used for illustrative purposes only.
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
National Institutes of Health
NIH Publication 09-3517