- What is depression?
- What are the different forms of depression?
- What are the basic signs and symptoms of depression?
- What causes depression in women?
- What illnesses often coexist with depression in women?
- How does depression affect adolescent girls?
- How does depression affect older women?
- How is depression diagnosed and treated?
- What efforts are underway to improve treatment?
- How can I help a friend or relative who is depressed?
- How can I help myself if I am depressed?
- Where can I go for help?
- What if I or someone I know is in crisis?
What efforts are underway to improve treatment?
Researchers are looking for ways to better understand, diagnose and treat depression among all groups of people. New possible treatments, such as faster-acting antidepressants, are being tested that give hope to those who live with difficult-to-treat depression. Researchers are studying the risk factors for depression and how it affects the brain. NIMH continues to fund cutting-edge research into this debilitating disorder.