U.S. Leading Categories of Diseases/Disorders
- What are DALYs?
- The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates below represent broad categories of diseases/disorders and the percentage that each category contributes to total U.S. DALYs.
- Neuropsychiatric disorders are the leading cause of disability in the U.S., followed by cardiovascular and circulatory diseases and neoplasms.
- The neuropsychiatric disorders category includes:
- Mental and behavioral disorders, which account for 13.6 percent of total U.S. DALYs; and,
- Neurological disorders, which account for 5.1 percent of total U.S. DALYs.