Featured studies include only those currently recruiting participants. They are listed according to the date they were added to the ClinicalTrials.gov registry, with the most recent studies appearing first.
- Cognitive vs. Emotional Psychopharmacological Manipulations of Fear vs. Anxiety.
Interventional study. Background: Stress and anxiety can interfere with how well people perform tasks. Ages 18-50. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- A Pilot Study to Extend the K-SADS-PL to Adolescents and Young Adults.
Evaluation study. Background: - An interview called the Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia for School Age Children Present and Lifetime version (K-SADS-PL) is used to identify mental health problems among children and younger teens. Ages 18-80. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Effects of a CRF1 Receptor Antagonist on Human Startle in Normal Female Volunteers.
Evaluation study. Background: - Research has shown that the hormone corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) is involved in stress and anxiety, and that drugs that block the effect of CRH in the body can reduce anxiety. Ages 21-50. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Anxiety and Recurrent Abdominal Pain in Children.
Interventional study. This study aims to determine whether citalopram is a useful, well-tolerated, and safe treatment for children and adolescents ages 7 to 18 years with functional abdominal pain. Ages 7-18. Location in Columbus, OH.
- Effectiveness of Emotion-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Treating Adolescents With Emotional Disorders.
Interventional study. This study will evaluate the effectiveness of an emotion-focused cognitive behavioral treatment program for adolescents with anxiety or unipolar depressive disorders. Ages 12-17. Location in Miami, FL.
- Preventing Anxiety Disorders in Youth.
Interventional study. This study will determine the effectiveness of a cognitive behavioral therapy program in preventing anxiety disorders in at-risk children. Ages 8-12. Location in Baltimore, MD.
- Family Study of Affective and Anxiety Spectrum Disorders.
Evaluation study. This study will examine how depression, anxiety, and migraine run in families. Ages up to 60. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder: Their Impact on the Processing of Information and Learning.
Evaluation study. The purpose of this study is to increase researchers understanding of the biological basis of generalized anxiety disorder and social anxiety disorder. Ages 18-50. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- The Psychobiology of Childhood Temperament.
Evaluation study. The purpose of this study is to use brain imaging technology to examine brain changes that occur in children when they are exposed to various kinds of emotional tasks and to determine if these changes are related to the child's temperament. Ages 7-25. Locations in Bethesda, MD; College Park, MD.
- Expectation of Unpleasant Events in Anxiety Disorders.
Evaluation study. Fear and anxiety are normal responses to a threat. Ages 18-60. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Brain Changes in Fear.
Evaluation study. The purpose of this study is to use brain imaging technology to investigate brain changes in people exposed to predictable versus unpredictable unpleasant stimuli. Ages 18-50. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Effects of Arousal and Stress in Anxiety.
Evaluation study. This study has several parts. Ages 18-50. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Evaluation of Patients With Mood and Anxiety Disorders and Healthy Volunteers.
Evaluation study. The purpose of this protocol is to allow for the careful screening of patients and healthy volunteers for participation in research protocols in the Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program (MAP) at the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) and for the collection of natural history data. Ages 3-85. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Clinical Trial of Fluoxetine in Anxiety and Depression in Children, and Associated Brain Changes.
Evaluation study. This study uses functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to learn how the brain functions in adolescents receiving fluoxetine (Prozac) cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) or interpersonal therapy (IPT) for anxiety or depression in children/adolescents. Ages 8-40. Locations in Bethesda, MD; College Park, MD; Nashville, TN; Richmond, VA; Madison, WI.
- Brain Tissue Collection for Neuropathological Studies.
Evaluation study. The purpose of this study is to collect and study the brain tissue of deceased individuals to learn more about the nervous system and mental disorders. Locations in Washington, DC; Bethesda, MD; Fairfax, VA.