Autism Spectrum Disorders (Pervasive Developmental Disorders)
Featured studies include only those currently recruiting participants. They are listed according to the date they were added to the ClinicalTrials.gov registry, with the most recent studies appearing first.
- A Trial of the Drug Donepezil for Sleep Enhancement and Behavioral Change in Children With Autism.
Interventional study. Background: - Some children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) do not have normal sleep cycles. Ages 24 months-50 months. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Studying Childhood-onset Behavioral, Psychiatric, and Developmental Disorders.
Evaluation study. Background: - Many psychiatric, behavioral, and developmental disorders are genetic. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Near Infrared Spectroscopy in Children With Autism and ADHD.
Evaluation study. Background: - Near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) is a functional imaging technique that can be uses light to study brain function while allowing for movement. Ages 4-8. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Assessing Suicide Risk in Adolescents With Developmental Delays.
Evaluation study. Background: - Currently, there is no standard method to study suicide risk in youth with developmental delays or intellectual disabilities (DD/ID). Ages 12 and over. Location in Toronto, Canada.
- Study of Toddlers With Language Delay.
Evaluation study. The purpose of this study is to learn more about risk factors for autism by studying the behavior and brain functioning of toddlers with early communication delays and typically developing toddlers. Ages 10 months-20 months. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- A Study of the Association Between Autism and Immune Changes in the Brain.
Evaluation study. Background: - People with autism and autism spectrum disorders have problems with communication, behavior, and socializing, and many also have intellectual and developmental disabilities. Ages 18-45. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Cognitive Neuroscience of Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Evaluation study. Background: - Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) are a group of developmental disorders that affect communication, social interaction, and behavior. Ages 5-89. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Comparing Parent-Implemented Interventions for Toddlers With Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Interventional study. This study will compare the effectiveness of two parent-based programs for helping young children at risk of autism. Ages 16 months-20 months. Locations in Tallahassee, FL; Ann Arbor, MI.
- Screening for Studies on Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Evaluation study. This study will screen children and adolescents (and their parents) to determine the child's eligibility for participation in NIMH research studies on autism spectrum disorders, such as autism and Rett's Disorder. Ages up to 20. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Long-Term Olanzapine Treatment in Children With Autism.
Interventional study. This study will determine the short- and long-term safety and effectiveness of the drug olanzapine (Zyprexa®) for reducing symptoms of autism in children. Ages 3-12. Location in Philadelphia, PA.
- Evaluating the Effectiveness of Aripiprazole and D-Cycloserine to Treat Symptoms Associated With Autism.
Interventional study. This study will determine the effectiveness of aripiprazole and D-Cycloserine in treating symptoms associated with autism in children. Ages 5-17. Location in Indianapolis, IN.