Featured studies include only those currently recruiting participants. They are listed according to the date they were added to the ClinicalTrials.gov registry, with the most recent studies appearing first.
- Daily Intranasal Oxytocin for Childhood-Onset Schizophrenia.
Interventional study. Background: - Oxytocin is a chemical that the brain normally produces. Ages 10-99. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Functional Relevance of Dopamine Receptors in Healthy Controls and Patients With Schizophrenia: Characterization Through [11C]NNC-112 and [18F]Fallypride Positron Emission Tomography.
Evaluation study. Background: - Some illnesses, such as schizophrenia, have effects on brain cells called dopamine receptors, which are required for normal brain function. Ages 18-90. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Safety and Effectiveness of D-Serine in Schizophrenia.
Interventional study. This study will determine whether increasing D-serine within the body will improve negative symptoms and cognitive impairments in people with schizophrenia. Ages 18-60.
- Determining Metabolic Effects of Valproate and Antipsychotic Therapy.
Interventional study. This study will determine the metabolic processes responsible for high levels of blood glucose, metabolism disorders, and weight gain in people with schizophrenia who have been treated with antipsychotic medications in combination with valproate. Ages 18-60. Location in St. Louis, MO.
- Effects of Modafinil on Brain Function in Patients With Schizophrenia.
Interventional study. This study will evaluate whether modafinil improves cognition in patients with schizophrenia and healthy volunteers. Ages 18-50. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Screening for Childhood-Onset Psychotic Disorders.
Evaluation study. The purpose of this study is to screen and evaluate children with psychotic disorders to establish or confirm their diagnosis and to collect data about their condition. Ages 5 and over. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Online Family Support and Education for Schizophrenia.
Interventional study. This study will evaluate the benefits of providing families of schizophrenia patients the opportunity to interact with each other using the Internet. Ages 18-60.
- Clinical Trial of Tolcapone for Cognition in Schizophrenia.
Interventional study. This study will evaluate whether Tolcapone improves cognition in healthy volunteers as well as patients with schizophrenia. Ages 18-50. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Brain Tissue Collection for Neuropathological Studies.
Evaluation study. The purpose of this study is to collect and study the brain tissue of deceased individuals to learn more about the nervous system and mental disorders. Locations in Washington, DC; Bethesda, MD; Fairfax, VA.
- Genetic Study of Schizophrenia.
Evaluation study. This large ongoing study at NIMH investigates the neurobiology of schizophrenia by identifying susceptibility genes, evaluating their impact on brain function to better understand how to treat and prevent this illness. Ages 18 and over. Location in Bethesda, MD.