Nomination Deadline: April 3, 2015
Application Deadline: May 1, 2015
The NIMH Outstanding Resident Award Program (ORAP) was introduced to the psychiatry residency training community in 1988 to recognize residents with outstanding research and academic potential who are currently at the PGY-II level. Now in its 28th year, ORAP, which is sponsored by the NIMH Intramural Research Program (IRP), requests that residency program directors and/or department chairs nominate ONE Resident from their program for consideration.
This year there are two steps for the ORAP process:
- First, the program director of a psychiatry residency program sends an email by April 3, 2015 to ORAP contact, Dr. Joyce Chung (firstname.lastname@example.org), stating his/her intention to nominate a resident.
- Second, all application materials are submitted together by the deadline date of May 1, 2015.
The application packet should include:
- Program director nomination letter for a current PGY-II psychiatric resident describing the qualifications of the nominee including previous and current research training and accomplishments, personal characteristics that set her/him apart, evidence of astute clinical observational skills and critical thinking, as well as enthusiasm for teaching others
- The nominee’s Curriculum Vitae
- A brief description by the nominee of his/her research interests and commitment to a career in academic psychiatry and clinical neuroscience.
Recipients of the award will be announced in June 2015 and be invited to visit the NIH in Bethesda, Maryland for a two-day award program in mid-September, 2015.
The ORAP Award includes:
- A framed certificate honoring selection as an NIMH Outstanding Resident Award recipient.
- An invitation to visit the NIH campus for a two-day award program where residents meet with NIMH leadership, investigators and clinical fellows to learn about the unique resources and research conducted in the IRP.
- An opportunity to present a poster about their own research.
- An invitation to NIMH Brain Camp – an intensive scientific retreat for psychiatry trainees to be held in spring 2016.
We appreciate your assistance in identifying the next generation of researchers in psychiatry. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Joyce Chung, M.D. at 301 443 8466 or email@example.com