Multimedia About Anxiety Disorders
- Bullying Exerts Psychiatric Effects Into Adulthood
- Sleep Brain Wave Key to Conquering Fear Memories
NIMH’s Dr. Aleksandra Vicentic comments on a NIMH-funded study that has pinpointed brainwave activity, deep in the brainstem of sleeping rodents, that signals successful consolidation of safety memories that override fear memories.
- Stress Hormone Receptors Less Adaptive in Female Brain
Dr. Rita Valentino describes a discovery in rat brains that may explain why women are more prone than men to mood and anxiety disorders.
- Anxiety Disorders Research: Impact of BDNF
BDNF stands for brain derived neurotrophic factor. This molecule, found in the brain's fear hub could have a significant impact on the study of anxiety disorders including Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Dr. Francis Lee of Weill-Cornell Medical College is a leading BDNF investigator and was a recent guest lecturer at the National Institute of Mental Health.
- Joel Sherill on Anxiety Disorders in Children
Dr. Joel Sherrill, head of the Child and Adolescent Psychosocial Intervention Research Program at the National Institute of Mental Health, talks about the various anxiety disorders that can affect children.