Science Update February 13, 2013
NIMH Director Thomas R. Insel Received AMA’s Top Government Service Award
On February 12, 2013, the American Medical Association (AMA) honored Thomas R. Insel, M.D., director of the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), with the Dr. Nathan Davis Award for Outstanding Government Service, the AMA’s highest award for government service in health care.
Named after the AMA’s founder, the awardExternal Link: Please review our disclaimer. annually recognizes seven elected and career officials in federal, state and municipal service whose outstanding work has “contributed to the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.“
“Dr. Insel’s work in the field of mental and behavioral health has provided valuable insight into the autism spectrum and obsessive compulsive disorders,” said AMA Board Chairperson Steven J. Stack, M.D. “He inspires and leads other to push the boundaries of research so we can find treatments that allow patients to lead fuller and healthier lives.”
NIMH Press Office
More Science News about:
- Mental Health Information
- Statistics on Mental Disorders
- Summaries of Scientific Meetings
- Information about NIMH
- RePORTER: Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tool Expenditures and Results
- PubMed Central: An Archive of Life Sciences Journals
- Recommendations for Reporting on Suicide
- News from the FieldExternal Link: Please review our disclaimer.
News From the Field
NIMH-Funded Science on EurekAlert
- Out of Sync With the World: Body Clocks of Depressed People Are Altered at Cell LevelExternal Link: Please review our disclaimer.
- Nerve Stimulation for Severe Depression Changes Brain FunctionExternal Link: Please review our disclaimer.
- Nearly 20 Percent of Suicidal Youths Have Guns in Their HomeExternal Link: Please review our disclaimer.