How to Become an Outreach Partner
NIMH will invite applicants to submit proposals for consideration as an NIMH Outreach Partner from non-profit organizations that conduct outreach on mental health in the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the following 22 states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming. Organizations with experience in addressing mental health disparities as defined by race or ethnicity, age (e.g., children, adolescents, transitional age youth, older adults), education or income, disability status, geographic location, risk status related to sex and gender, and among other populations identified to be at-risk for health disparities such as immigrants, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex (LGBTI), and military service members and their families are encouraged to apply.
NIMH plans to release solicitations for Outreach Partners in the following states:
- 2014: Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York and New York City, North Dakota, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Texas Border Area, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, and Wisconsin
- 2015: Southern California and Central/Northern California
How to Become a National Partner
The Program currently has over 80 National Partners, including professional, consumer, advocacy, and service-related non-profit organizations with a nationwide membership and/or audience. See list of National Partners. Non-profit organizations with a nationwide reach interested in becoming a National Partner should send an e-mail message to NIMHPartners@mail.nih.gov with a brief description of your organization and contact information, including website.
Benefits of Partnership with NIMH
By joining the Program an organization can:
- Receive the Update twice a month.
- Access the Partners Only website.
- Receive timely news and resources from NIMH via Partner e-distribution lists.
- Take advantage of opportunities for building partnerships to broaden outreach, increase access to resources, and expand contacts by engaging in the various activities listed above.
- Participate in and/or view science related teleconferences specifically for Partners where you will learn about new research findings from the scientists who conducted the research.
- Provide input into the NIMH research priority-setting process.
Outreach Partners are also sponsored by NIMH to attend an Annual Meeting. National Partners are encouraged to attend; however, they are responsible for costs related to participation.