Navigating Your Way through a Successful Research Career
― • Meeting Summary
- Sponsored by:
- National Institute of Mental Health
In September 2008, the NIMH Division of Developmental Translational Research (DDTR) hosted a career workshop sponsored by the NIMH Office for Special Populations (OSP), the NIMH Division of Aids and Health Behavior Research (DAHBR), the Division of Adult Translational Research (DATR), and the Division of Services and Intervention Research (DSIR). The workshop provided junior investigators with the tools necessary to continue along the path of competitive research support and transition to independence. The workshop aimed to instill the importance of producing innovative research within the overall mission of NIMH in these promising early researchers. Content of the workshop included presentations on translation of research in developmental psychopathology, mechanisms and trajectories of mental illness, the development of innovative treatments, and adaptation of efficacious treatments.
Workshop participants addressed the following major themes:
- Highlights on NIMH Directions
- Strategies for Developing Successful Grant Applications
- NIH Grantsmanship (understanding funding mechanisms and review)
- Career Transition to Independence
- Interaction with NIMH Intramural Programs
- Consultations with Program Officials
For more information, please contact Michael Sesma, Ph.D., 301-443-5944.