Meeting Summaries about Mental Health Services Research
- Advances in Global Mental Health Research and Research Capacity Building
May 02, 2013 – May 03, 2013
On May 2-3, 2013, the Office for Research on Disparities and Global Mental Health (ORDGMH) in the Office of the Director of the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) invited stakeholders from around the world to present study designs and key considerations for mental health services research in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs); discuss the interface of advocacy, policy and research; and identify developments in research capacity-building. A total of 130 participants from low-, middle-, and high- income countries attended the gathering in-person or via telecommunication technology.
- Research to Improve Health and Longevity of People with Severe Mental Illness
September 10, 2012 – September 11, 2012
On September 10-11, 2012, the NIMH Office for Research on Disparities and Global Mental Health (ORDGMH) and Division of Services and Intervention Research (DSIR) convened the meeting, “Research to Improve Health and Longevity of People with Severe Mental Illness.” The purpose of the meeting was to assess the state of the science in preventing and treating medical comorbidities in people with severe mental illness (SMI) and identify the most critically needed research to reduce premature mortality in this vulnerable group.
- Mental Illness, Incarceration, and Community Re-entry: Telepsychiatry and Continuity of Mental Health Care
October 29, 2008 – October 30, 2008
Participants discussed whether current knowledge and practices related to the continuity of mental health care in general and telepsychiatry specifically are effective, and how effective methods can be generalized to other domains of mental health care.
- Enhancing the Impact of Mental Health Services Research
July 23, 2007 – July 24, 2007
The Services Research and Clinical Epidemiology Branch of DSIR sponsored the 19th National Conference on Mental Health Services Research: “Enhancing the Impact of Mental Health Services Research”.
- Dissemination and Implementation Research Workshop: Harnessing Science to Maximize Health
May 26, 2007
On March 26, 2007, the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI) co-sponsored a meeting entitled “Dissemination and Implementation Research Workshop: Harnessing Science to Maximize Health.”
- NIMH Special Symposium: Mental Illness, the Person, and Prison
May 14, 2007
In May 2007, NIMH hosted a symposium on the urgent problem of prisoners with serious mental illness.
- The 13th NIMH Biennial Research Conference on the Economics of Mental Health
September 25, 2006 – September 26, 2006
In September 2006, the NIMH Division of Services and Intervention Research (DSIR) sponsored a national research conference on mental health economics.
- Northeast Regional Meeting on Connecting Science and Service
September 04, 2006
NIMH, the Center for Mental Health Services (SAMHSA), and the National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors (NASMHPD), held this two-day meeting in September in Baltimore, Maryland, to identify relevant research and service development agendas to improve the public mental health system in the region.
- Federal Partnership on the Transformation of Mental Health Care in the United States
August 01, 2006
Led by the Center for Mental Health Services of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, NIMH participates in this Federal effort to improve the quality of mental health care delivered to US citizens.
- NIMH/National Business Group on Health Roundtable on Medication Management in Employer-Based Behavioral Health Systems
July 01, 2006
The Services Research and Clinical Epidemiology Branch of the NIMH Division of Services and Intervention Research held this one-day meeting to identify relevant research findings for employers and to discuss new opportunities to bridge the gap between research and practice.