- What are YLDs?
- The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates below represent broad categories of diseases/disorders and the percentage that each category contributes to total U.S. YLDs.
- Neuropsychiatric disorders are the leading cause of YLDs in the U.S., followed by musculoskeletal disorders and other non-communicable diseases.
- The neuropsychiatric disorders category includes:
- Mental and behavioral disorders, which account for 27.1 percent of total U.S. YLDs; and,
- Neurological disorders, which account for 6.1 percent of total U.S. YLDs.
US Burden of Disease Collaborators. The state of US health, 1990-2010: burden of diseases, injuries, and risk factors. JAMA, 310(6): 591-608, 2013.