Leading Causes of Death Ages 18 – 65 in the U.S.
The chart below shows the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States in 2007 for adults ages 18 to 65. Suicide is the 4th leading cause of death in the United States for adults in this age range, surpassing other causes including diabetes, stroke, and homicide. The data are based on death certificate information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC’s) National Vital Statistics System.
Science News about Statistics
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality's Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS)
- National Institute of Mental Health's National Comorbidity Survey
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's National Survey of Drug Use and Health (NSDUH)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's National Expenditures for Mental Health Services and Substance Abuse Treatment Report