Thoughts of Suicide & Made Suicide Plans
Suicidality refers to thoughts about, plans for, or actual attempts to commit suicide. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) began collecting yearly data on suicidality with their 2008 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH).
Data from the 2008 NSDUH show that 3.7 percent of adults age 18 and older in the United States had thought about suicide, 1.0 percent of adults had made plans to commit suicide, and 0.5 percent of adults had attempted suicide.
Science News about Statistics
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality's Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS)
- National Institute of Mental Health's National Comorbidity Survey
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's National Survey of Drug Use and Health (NSDUH)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's National Expenditures for Mental Health Services and Substance Abuse Treatment Report