Change in Mental Health Payments by Provider (1993 vs. 2003)
The chart below shows mental health care cost data from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). It shows how payments for different types of mental health services and treatment changed between 1993 and 2003. Over this time period, the percentage of payments going to specialty hospitals and specialty units within general hospitals decreased notably. During the same period of time, the percentage of mental health payments for retail prescription drugs increased.
Science News about Statistics
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality's Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS)
- National Institute of Mental Health's National Comorbidity Survey
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's National Survey of Drug Use and Health (NSDUH)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's National Expenditures for Mental Health Services and Substance Abuse Treatment Report