Mental Health Expenditures as a Percent of All Health Care Expenditures (2003)
In 2002, total medical expenditures in the United States totaled $1.6 trillion. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) estimated total expenditures for mental health care to be $100 billion in 2002. This means that mental health care represented 6.2 percent of all medical expenditures in the United States.
Science News about Statistics
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality's Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS)
- National Institute of Mental Health's National Comorbidity Survey
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's National Survey of Drug Use and Health (NSDUH)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's National Expenditures for Mental Health Services and Substance Abuse Treatment Report