National Suicide Rate Map
National suicide rates provide important information, but it is important to understand that suicide rates are not the same in each state. Some states have rates that are below the national average, and some states have rates above it.
The chart below shows a map of the United States with each state’s average suicide rate between the years 2000 and 2006 indicated by color. Lighter colors indicate states with lower rates of suicide.
Science News about Statistics
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality's Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS)
- National Institute of Mental Health's National Comorbidity Survey
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's National Survey of Drug Use and Health (NSDUH)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's National Expenditures for Mental Health Services and Substance Abuse Treatment Report