Job Vacancy Announcement - Statistician
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
Office of Science Policy, Planning, and Communications (OSPPC)
Reports and Analysis Branch (RAB)
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) seeks a motivated Statistician to serve in the Reports and Analysis Branch (RAB) of the Office of Science Policy, Planning, and Communications (OSPPC). RAB conducts both descriptive and complex analyses of the NIMH portfolio and supports evaluation activities to assess the impact of NIMH-funded research using data collected by NIH, by NIMH, and by third parties.
The incumbent will be responsible for carrying out statistical analysis appropriate for addressing questions about mental health research and its associated activities, outputs, and impacts. To support this, they will elicit information from partners such as NIMH leaders regarding their analytical questions, assess feasibility of answering said questions, and advise on analysis design and data sources. They will develop plans for and conduct analysis using knowledge of statistical methods, data sources and computer systems and recognize challenges to recommend their consideration alongside potential solutions.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A Master’s or Doctorate degree in Statistics, Biostatistics, Economics, Epidemiology, Demography or a related quantitative field,
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience conducting and using analysis of large, administrative databases,
- Strong analytical skills and exceptional problem-solving abilities,
- Demonstrated expertise and experience managing and analyzing large data sets using SQL and either R or Python,
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written,
- An ability to effectively communicate complex technical items to diverse audiences, including lay stakeholders
Familiarity with bibliometric analysis, NLP or machine learning techniques and familiarity with the NIH grant-making process and/or NIH administrative databases are a plus, but not required.
How to Apply
Interested parties should send a resume to NIMHsearch@mail.nih.gov.
The incumbent will be selected at a salary commensurate with their qualifications and experience. In addition, full benefits, including leave, health and life insurance may be provided. This position is remote eligible.
HHS and NIH are equal opportunity employers
The NIH encourages the application and nomination of qualified women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities. HHS and NIH are Equal Opportunity Employers.