Electronic Grant Submission
NIH’s electronic Research Administration (e RA) systems provide applicants and grantees with the tools necessary for electronic processing of grants. Go to the eRA page for full details.
- Electronic applications are submitted using the PHS (Public Health Service) SF 424 R&R (research and related) online form. The online form can be found in the funding opportunity announcements (FOAs). See diagram below.
- To submit an electronic application your institution must first register with grants.gov and the NIH eRA Commons. You, as an individual PI, must obtain registration on the NIH eRA Commons (through your institution).
- Register Early! Registration is a multi-step process that can take 8 weeks or more and MUST be completed before the submission deadline. Please view an overview of steps for registering to learn more.
- If you have questions about what materials are appropriate to include as part of your application, contact the program officer listed in the FOA under section VII: Agency Contacts. Reading the SF424(R&R) Instruction Guide is often a good place to start.
- Contact Grants Management at 301-402-7111 for information regarding the administration of the grant and the preparation of the budget. In addition, for budgetary questions you may contact the Financial/Grants Management Contact(s) listed under section VII: Agency Contacts of the FOA.
- If you plan on including human subjects in your grant application, please see the following instruction guides for the protection of human subjects and guidance resources for inclusion.
- SF424(R&R) Instruction Guide
- Inclusion of Women and Minorities as Participants In Research Involving Human Subjects (see also Section 4.2 of supplemental instructions)
- Inclusion of Children as Participants in Research Involving Human Subjects (see also Section 4.4 of supplemental instructions)
- For electronic submission, download the application from the specific funding announcement or see the "Apply for Grant Electronically" button as noted in the sample PA below. All electronic applications must be submitted in response to a specific FOA.