Global Leading Categories of Diseases/Disorders (YLDs)
- What are YLDs?
- The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates below represent broad categories of diseases/disorders and the percentage that each category contributes to total global YLDs.
- Neuropsychiatric disorders are the leading cause of global YLDs, followed by musculoskeletal disorders and other non-communicable diseases.
- The neuropsychiatric disorders category includes:
- Mental and behavioral disorders, which account for 22.7 percent of total global YLDs; and,
- Neurological disorders, which account for 5.5 percent of total global YLDs.
Vos T et al. Years lived with disability (YLDs) for 1160 sequelae of 289 diseases and injuries 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet,380(9859): 2163-96, 2012.