Global Leading Categories of Diseases/Disorders
- What are DALYs?
- The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates below represent broad categories of diseases/disorders and the percentage that each category contributes to total global DALYs.
- Neuropsychiatric disorders are the third leading cause of global DALYs, following cardiovascular and circulatory diseases and diarrhea, lower respiratory infections, meningitis, and other common infectious diseases.
- The neuropsychiatric disorders category includes:
- Mental and behavioral disorders, which account for 7.4 percent of total global DALYs; and,
- Neurological disorders, which account for 3.0 percent of total global DALYs.
Murray CJ et al. Disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 291 diseases and injuries in 21 regions, 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet,380(9859): 2197-223, 2012.