Bipolar Disorder (Manic-Depressive Illness)
Featured studies include only those currently recruiting participants. They are listed according to the date they were added to the ClinicalTrials.gov registry, with the most recent studies appearing first.
- Development of Magnetic Resonance Imaging Techniques for Studying Mood and Anxiety Disorders .
Evaluation study. This study is intended to help develop new MRI imaging techniques for studying mood and anxiety disorders. Ages 18-65. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Early Detection and Prevention of Mood Disorders in Children of Parents With Bipolar Disorder .
Interventional study. This study will develop strategies for early detection and prevention of mood disorders and associated impairment in adolescent children of parents with bipolar disorder. Ages 12-17. Location in New York, NY.
- Lithium Versus Divalproex for Treating Pediatric Bipolar Disorder .
Interventional study. This study will compare the efficacy of lithium, divalproex, and placebo in treating the acute phase of symptomatic bipolar I disorder, mixed or manic episode, in children and adolescents. Ages 7-18.
- Rapid Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine in Major Depression .
Interventional study. This study examines whether Ketamine can cause a rapid-next day antidepressant effect in patients with Major Depression/Bipolar Disorder . Ages 18-65. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Studies of Brain Function and Course of Illness in Pediatric Bipolar Disorder .
Evaluation study. This study seeks to learn more about the symptoms of severe mood dysregulation in children and adolescents ages 7-17. Ages 7-25. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Evaluation of Patients With Mood and Anxiety Disorders and Healthy Volunteers .
Evaluation study. The purpose of this protocol is to allow for the careful screening of patients and healthy volunteers for participation in research protocols in the Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program (MAP) at the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) and for the collection of natural history data. Ages 3-99. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Child & Adolescent Bipolar Disorder Brain Imaging and Treatment Study .
Evaluation study. This research protocol seeks to learn more about bipolar disorder in children and adolescents ages 6-17. Ages 42 months-17. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Brain Tissue Collection for Neuropathological Studies .
Evaluation study. The purpose of this study is to collect and study the brain tissue of deceased individuals to learn more about the nervous system and mental disorders. Locations in Washington, DC; Bethesda, MD; Fairfax, VA.
- Evaluation of the Genetics of Bipolar Disorder .
Evaluation study. This study looks to identify genes that may affect a person's chances of developing bipolar disorder (BP) and related conditions. Ages 18-85. Location in Bethesda, MD.