The NIH offers a rich training environment, in addition to graduate course work at NIH's Foundation for Advanced Education in the Sciences (FAES). The ETPB is dedicated to training the next generation of clinical translational researchers. This goal is accomplished via the recruitment of young researchers from the Post-baccalaureate Intramural Research Training Award (IRTA), post-Doctoral IRTAs, Visiting Fellows, and the Summer Internship Program. Dr. Zarate has been recognized for his accomplishments in mentoring at the NIH, including receiving the Ruth L. Kirschstein Mentoring Award in 2015 and being nominated for the Distinguished Clinical Teacher Award.
Trainees have access to a wide range of world-class clinical and research facilities. Our research studies utilize a broad range of resources including neuroimaging, electrophysiological, and biochemical facilities (PET, MRI, MRS, MEG, polysomnography, proteomics, metabolomics, biochemical and genetics). The ETPB recently developed a biomarker and biobank (BioBNK) Laboratory that will serve as a core for biological specimens for networks involving proof of concept clinical trials within the branch and throughout intramural NIMH.
Our trainees have presented research and posters at numerous professional conferences, including the annual conferences of the American Psychiatric Association, American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, Anxiety Disorders Association of America, and the International Conference on Bipolar Disorder.
The NIMH Office of Fellowship Training offers a range of fellowship and training opportunities for individuals at various stages of their education. These opportunities, which last between one and five years, provide an opportunity to further the education and professional development of Fellows and Trainees. For more information on this program, visit the NIMH Fellowship & Training Programs website. Information on specific opportunities can be found below.
- Clinical Fellowship Program
- PGY4 Psychiatry Residency Program
NIMH Intramural Research Training Awards
- Postdoctoral Intramural Research and Training Award
- Pre-doctoral Intramural Research and Training Award / Pre-doctoral Visiting Fellow
- Postbaccalaureate Intramural Research and Training Award
- Student Intramural Research and Training Award
Additionally, we have established collaboration between the NIMH and the University College of London (UCL), called the Joint Doctoral Training Program in Neuroscience. This is an accelerated graduate program for students in neuroscience at both the UCL and the NIMH. It offers students the opportunity to conduct collaborative research between two laboratories, one at UCL, the other at the NIMH.
Alumni of the ETPB, formerly a part of the NIMH Mood and Anxiety Disorders Unit, have gone on to excel in psychiatric and psychological clinical research and psychopharmacological development, as well as becoming members of university faculty.
- Jorge A. Quiroz, MD: Neuroscience Translational Medicine, Roche Pharmaceuticals
- Jaskaran B.Singh, MD: Central Nervous System/Pain Therapeutic Area, Janssen Pharmaceuticals
- Philip Kronstein, MD: Division of Psychiatry Products, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Paul Carlson, MD: Department of Psychiatry, University of Utah)
- Andrew Newberg, MD: Department of Psychiatry, UNC Chapel Hill
- Lisa Catapano, MD, PhD: Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, George Washington University Medical Center
- Giacomo Salvadore, MD: Neuroscience Experimental Medicine, Janssen Pharmaceuticals
- Sami Khalife, MD: Department of Psychiatry, NYU Medical Center
- Nancy DiazGranados, MD: Section of Clinical Assessment & Treatment Evaluation, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIH)
- Anibal Cravchik, MD, PhD: Private Psychiatric Practice
- Lobna Ibrahim, MD: Inpatient Psychiatry, Walter Reed National Naval Medical Center
- Jose Franco Chaves, MD: Outpatient Care, Veteran Affairs Caribbean Healthcare System (San Juan, Puerto Rico)
- Daniel C. Mathews, MD: Medical Affairs, H. Lundbeck A/S Pharmaceuticals
- Jennifer Vande Voort, MD: Department of Psychiatry and Psychology
- Erica Richards, MD, PhD: NIMH Office of the Clinical Director
- The Catholic University of America
- Columbia University (New York, NY)
- The George Washington University
- Trinity College (Hartford, CT)
- The University of California (Irvine)
- University of Maryland
- University of Minnesota
- University of North Texas
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine
- Alpert Medical School, Brown University
- Emory University School of Medicine
- The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- The Medical University of South Carolina
- University of Michigan Medical School
- University of Virginia School of Medicine
- Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
- Yale School of Medicine