Curriculum Vitae of Salvatore (Sam) Torrisi
Salvatore (Sam) Torrisi
Chevy Chase, MD 20815 • 310.775.0879 • @stbmtx • email@example.com
PhD Neuroscience Interdepartmental Program • Summer, 2013
University of California, Los Angeles • 695 Young Drive South, Los Angeles, CA 90095
Primary advisor: Dr. Lori Altshuler of the UCLA Mood Disorders Research Program.
Dissertation committee: L Altshuler, S Bookheimer, E London, M Monti, J van Horn
MA Applied Linguistics • Spring, 2007
University of California, Los Angeles • 3300 Rolfe Hall, Los Angeles, CA 90095
Advisors: John Schumann, Charles Goodwin
MFA Music Composition/New Media • December, 2003
California Institute of the Arts • 24700 McBean Pkwy, Valencia, CA 91355
Advisors: James Tenney, Sara Roberts, Mark Trayle, David Rosenboom
BA Interdisciplinary Arts and Performance (Media Studies) • May, 2001
Arizona State University West • 4701 W. Thunderbird Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85069
Advisors: Richard Lerman, Daniel Lentz. Graduated Summa Cum Laude
Section on the Neurobiology of Fear and Anxiety. PIs: Christian Grillon, Monique Ernst.
National Institute of Mental Health. 15K North Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892 • 2016 – current.
Research Fellow. 7 Tesla functional neuroimaging and connectivity analyses of the anxiety network.
Section on the Neurobiology of Fear and Anxiety. PIs: Christian Grillon, Monique Ernst.
National Institute of Mental Health. 15K North Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892 • 2013 – 2016
Postdoctoral Fellow. 3T and 7T functional neuroimaging and connectivity analyses of anxiety network.
Mood Disorders Research Program. PI: Lori Altshuler.
300 UCLA Medical Plaza, Suite 1544 • April 2009 – Summer 2013
Functional neuroimaging and connectivity analyses of the euthymic mood state of Bipolar Disorder.
Graduate Student Researcher. PI: Stephanie A. White.
White Lab, Department of Physiological Science, UCLA • Sept 2005–June 2007.
Technical assistance, hardware implementation and behavioral analysis for a songbird laboratory.
Mac, Linux, Windows
UNIX, MATLAB, Vim, R
AFNI, SPM, FREESURFER
some FSL, E-Prime, BIOPAC, Python
PUBLICATIONS (in prep)
04. AX Gorka, T Lago, N Balderston, C Gaillard, S Torrisi, B Fuchs, C Grillon, M Ernst. Methylphenidate
resting state functional connectivity (in prep)
03. S Torrisi, R Sladky, J Liu, J Leshin, M Ernst, C Grillon. Effective connectivity of improved cognitive performance by
threat of shock at 7T (in prep)
02. S Torrisi, F Pereira, S Marrett, AX Gorka, G Alvarez, B Fuchs, VL Boerwinkle, D Adelson, C Grillon, M Ernst.
Functional parcellation of the human hypothalamus at ultra-high field (in prep)
01. AX Gorka, S Torrisi, M Ernst, C Grillon. Dorsal Extended Amygdala Responses to Aversive Conditioned Stimuli
at Ultra-High Field. (in prep)
19. S Torrisi, G Alvarez, AX Gorka, B Fuchs, M Garaci, C Grillon, M Ernst. Resting state connectivity of the BNST
and CeA in clinical anxiety (submitted)
18. S Torrisi, G Chen, D Glen, P Bandettini, C Baker, R Reynolds, J Liu, J Leshin, N Balderston, C Grillon, M Ernst.
(2018) Statistical power comparisons at 3T and 7T with a GO / NOGO task. NeuroImage, 175, 100-110
17. VL Boerwinkle, S Foldes, S Torrisi, H Temkit, JF Kerrigan, VR Desai, JS Raskin, A Vedantam, S Lam, M Ranjan,
JS Broderson, D Adelson, AA Wilfong, DJ Curry. Sub-centimeter epileptogenic zone targets by resting state
functional MRI improves epilepsy surgical outcomes (under review)
16. S Torrisi, A Gorka, J Gonzales-Castillo, K O’Connell, N Balderston, C Grillon, M Ernst. (2018) Extended amygdala
connectivity changes during sustained shock anticipation. Translational Psychiatry, 8:33, 1-12
15. RM Tillman, MD Stockbridge, BM Nacewicz, S Torrisi, AS Fox, JF Smith, AJ Shackman. (2017) Intrinsic functional
connectivity of the central extended amygdala. Human Brain Mapping, 1-22
14. AX Gorka, S Torrisi, AJ Shackman, C Grillon, M Ernst. (2018) Intrinsic functional connectivity of the central
nucleus of the amygdala and bed nucleus of the stria terminalis. NeuroImage 168, 392-402
13. N Balderston, E Hale, A Hsiung, S Torrisi, T Holroyd, FW Carver, R Coppola, M Ernst, C Grillon. (2017) Threat of
shock increases excitability and connectivity of the intraparietal sulcus. eLife, 6, 1080-1127
12. S Torrisi, C Nord, N Balderston, J Roiser, C Grillon, M Ernst. (2017) Resting state connectivity of the human
habenula at ultra-high field. NeuroImage, 147, 872-879
11. S Torrisi, K O’Connell, A Davis, R Reynolds, N Balderston, JL Fudge, C Grillon, M Ernst. (2015) Resting State
Connectivity of the Bed Nucleus of the Stria Terminalis at Ultra-high Field. Human Brain Mapping, 36 4076–4088
10. S Torrisi, O Robinson, K O’Connell, A Davis, N Balderston, M Ernst, C Grillon. (2016) The Neural Basis of
Improved Cognitive Performance by Threat of Shock. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 11:11, 1677-86
09. N Balderston, K Vytal, K O’Connell, S Torrisi, A Letkiewicz, M Ernst, C Grillon. (2016) Anxiety patients show
reduced working memory related dlPFC activation during safety and threat. Depression and Anxiety, 1-12
08. M Ernst, S Torrisi, N Balderston, C Grillon, E Hale. FMRI functional connectivity applied to neurodevelopment, a
focus on adolescence. Annual Rev Clinical Psychology. 2015. 11:6.1–6.17
07. K Cross, S Torrisi, ER Losin, M Iacoboni. (2013) Controlling automatic imitative tendencies: Interactions between
mirror neuron and cognitive control systems. NeuroImage 83 493-504
06. S Torrisi, MD Lieberman, SY Bookheimer, LL Altshuler. (2013) Advancing understanding of affect labeling with
dynamic causal modeling. NeuroImage 82, 481-488
05. S Torrisi, T Moody, M Thomason, N Vizueta, MM Monti, JD Townsend, J Fischer, SY Bookheimer, LL Altshuler.
(2013) Differences in resting corticolimbic functional connectivity in bipolar I euthymia. Bipolar Disorders 15(2) 156-
04. JD Townsend, S Torrisi, MD Lieberman, CA Sugar, SY Bookheimer, LL Altshuler. (2013) Frontal-Amygdala
Connectivity Alterations During Emotion Downregulation in Bipolar I Disorder. Biological Psychiatry, 73(2): 127-
03. N Vizueta, JD Rudie, JD Townsend, S Torrisi, TD Moody, SY Bookheimer, LL Altshuler. (2012) Regional fMRI
Hypoactivation and Altered Functional Connectivity During Emotion Processing in Nonmedicated Depressed
Patients with Bipolar II Disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2012; 169(8):831-40.
02. LC Foland-Ross, S Bookheimer, MD Lieberman, J Townsend, J Fischer, S Torrisi, C Penfold, SK Madsen, PM
Thompson, L Altshuler. (2011) Normal amygdala activation but deficient ventrolateral prefrontal activation in
adults with bipolar disorder during euthymia. NeuroImage. 2012; 59(1):738-44. Epub 2011 Aug 10.
01. I Teramitsu, A Poopatanapong, S Torrisi, SA White. Striatal FoxP2 Is Actively Regulated during Songbird
Sensorimotor Learning. PLoS One. January 2010; 5(1) e8548
02. M Ernst, L Hale, N Balderston, S Torrisi (2015) Introduction to functional brain connectivity: potential
contributions to understanding adolescent vulnerability to substance abuse. In S.F. Ewing, K Witkiewitz,
F. Filbey (Eds.) Neuroimaging and Psychosocial Addiction Treatment. Palgrave Macmillan.
01. S Torrisi. (2010). Social Regulation in Frontotemporal Dementia: A Case Study. In A. Mates, L. Mikesell, & M.
Smith (Eds.) Language, Interaction and Frontotemporal Dementia: Reverse Engineering the Social Mind. London:
12. S. Torrisi, G Alvarez, B Fuchs, M Garaci, A Gorka, M Ernst, C Grillon. Resting State Connectivity of the BNST and
CeA in Patients with Generalized and Social Anxiety. SfN. Nov 14, 2017, Washington, DC.
11. S Torrisi, G Chen, D Glen, P Bandettini, C Baker, J Liu, C Grillon, M Ernst. Statistical power comparisons at 3T
and 7T with a GO / NOGO task. NIMH Training Day. Sept 11 2017, Leesburg, VA.
10. S. Torrisi, J Liu, J Leshin, M Ernst, C Grillon. Neural Contributions to Improved Cognitive Performance by Threat of
Shock at 7T. 23rd annual OHBM. June 26, 2017, Vancouver, Canada.
09. S. Torrisi, G Alvarez, C Grillon, M Ernst. Resting State Connectivity of the BNST in Patients with Anxiety Disorders.
Anxiety & Depression Association of America, April 7, 2017, San Francisco, CA.
08. S. Torrisi, K O’Connell, A Gorka, A Davis, N Balderston, M Ernst, C Grillon. Voxel-wise Functional Connectivity of
BNST and Central Amygdala Under Induced Anxiety. Presented at Anxiety and Depression Association of America.
April 1-2, 2016, Philadelphia, PA.
07. S. Torrisi, O. Robinson, K O’Connell, A Davis, N Balderston, M Ernst, C Grillon. Neural Correlates of Response
Inhibition Improved by Threat of Shock. Presented at the 21st annual meeting of the Organization of Human Brain
Mapping. June 16, 2015, Honolulu, HI.
06. S. Torrisi, R. Reynolds, K O’Connell, A Davis, N Balderston, C Grillon, M Ernst. Resting connectivity of the Bed
Nucleus of the Stria Terminalis. Presented at the 4th biennial Resting State Brain Connectivity Conference. Sept 13,
2014, Cambridge, MA.
05. S. Torrisi, K. McRae, N. Vizueta, S. Bookheimer, L.L. Altshuler. Hypoactivity in left vlPFC during reappraisal in
bipolar disorder euthymia. Presented at the 19th annual meeting of the Organization of Human Brain Mapping. June
16-20, 2013, Seattle, WA.
04. S. Torrisi, N. Vizueta, J. Townsend, E. Lau, S. Bookheimer, L.L. Altshuler. Effective Connectivity Network
Differences During Incidental Emotion Regulation in Euthymic Bipolar Disorder. Presented at the 67th Society of
Biological Psychiatry annual meeting. May 3-5, 2012, Philadelphia, PA.
03. S. Torrisi, N. Vizueta, E. Berkman, L. Foland-Ross, J.D. Townsend, T.D. Moody, J. Fischer, S.Y.
Bookheimer, L.L. Altshuler. Differences in Amygdala to VLPFC Resting State Functional Connectivity in Bipolar I
Euthymia. Presented at the 17th Annual Organization for Human Brain Mapping meeting. June 26-30, 2011,
Québec City, Canada.
02. S. Torrisi, J.D. Townsend, N. Vizueta, A. Aquino, J. Fischer, S.Y. Bookheimer, L.L. Altshuler Dysfunction of
Frontal and Subcortical Connectivity During a Task of Emotion Regulation in Bipolar II Disorder Depression
presented at New Horizons in Human Brain Imaging: A Focus on Brain Networks and Connectivity, December 1,
2010. Oahu, HI.
01. S. Torrisi, N. Vizueta, E. Berkman, L. Foland-Ross, J.D. Townsend, T.D. Moody, J. Fischer, S.Y. Bookheimer, L.L.
Altshuler. Fronto-limbic Functional Connectivity in Bipolar II Depression during Emotion Labeling. Presented at the
4th Annual Meeting of the Social & Affective Neuroscience Society. September 18, 2010. Chicago, IL.
‘Alterations In BNST Functional Connectivity During Induced Anxiety’ at SOBP 2016, Atlanta, GA.
‘Resting connectivity of the BNST at ultra-high field’ at fMRI/MRI seminar series, May 28, 2015, NIH.
Chair, mini-symposium ‘Human Subcortical Connectivity at Ultra High Field MRI’ at SfN 2014, DC.
Dissertation defense, July 9, 2013, UCLA.
Neuroscience Afterlab Research Forum, February 28, 2013, UCLA.
Presentation on FTD project to ‘Mind, Medicine and Culture’ group, Dec 3rd 2007, UCLA.
AD HOC REVIEWING
NeuroImage, NeuroImage: Clinical, Psychiatric Research Neuroimaging, Human Brain Mapping
‘Extended Amygdala (and Beyond) Under Threat of Shock’ Nov 07, 2017, Dept. of Psychology, CUA
‘Threat of Shock Effects on SART’ April 25, 2017, Dept. of Psychology, Catholic University of America
‘fMRI-based connectivity methods’ Aug 21, 2015, at CSL, Georgetown University Medical Center
Workshop on Dynamic Causal Modeling, UCLA, NITP Summer School. July 15, 2013
Teachers Assistant, UCLA, Dept. of Neuroscience; NS102 (Neuroanatomy). Fall, 2012
Private instructor/counselor: Williams Syndrome Music Camp, Grand Rapids, MI. Summers, 2005 - 2009
Private clarinet instruction. 1996 – 2005
Substitute (grades 1-12) & music teacher: Vacaville Unif School District, Vacaville, CA. Sept ‘04–June ‘05
Lecturer, activities director and counselor: Donner Mine Music Camp, Truckee, CA. Summers 2000-2002
Internship rotation on inpatient units of UCLA Neuropsychiatric Hospital under the directorship of
Dr. Laurie Casaus. August 1 – Sept 1, 2011.
Externship rotation at outpatient Mood Disorders Clinic at UCLA/Semel Institute under the directorship of
Dr. Michael Gitlin. August 1 – Sept. 1, 2011.
Cortical Thickness of Methamphetamine Addicts. PI: Edythe London.
Semel Institute, UCLA • Jan 2009–April 2009. Cortical thickness and the Balloon Analogue Risk Task.
Cross-Correlation of Observed Social Interactions. PI: Marco Iacoboni.
Ahmanson Lovelace Brain Mapping Center, UCLA • Sept 2007–March 2008. Intersubject cross-correlations
of subjects observing social interactions and behavioral coding of video stimuli.
NIMH IRP Office of Fellowship Training, travel award, 2017
NIH Loan Repayment Program award 2016-2019
Fellowship to Summer Institute in Cognitive Neuroscience June 20-July 1, 2016, UCSB, CA
NIH Fellows Award for Research Excellence (FARE) 2016, travel award.
UCLA Neuroimaging Training Program Fellowship (NIH T90) Sept. 2011-Aug. 2012
New Horizons in Human Brain Imaging: Brain Networks and Connectivity Dec. 1-3, 2010 (Oahu, Hawaii)
Acceptance to NITP Advanced Neuroimaging Summer School, July 12-23, 2010. UCLA
UCLA QGE special course funding, spring & winter, 2010 (for two SPM courses in Boston)
UCLA QGE special course funding, spring, 2009 (for FSL/FreeSurfer course in San Francisco)
CalArts Scholarship, fall, 2003 (matched to L. May & R.V. Hagen)
Lulu May & Richard Von Hagen Scholarship, 2001 - 2002 (to top 5% incoming students)
Probabilistic BNST masks made public in 2015: https://afni.nimh.nih.gov/Atlases_page
Co-Coordinator of UCLA Neuroimaging + Journal Club • Winter, 2013
Principal clarinetist, Los Angeles Doctors Symphony Orchestra • 2011 – 2012 season
Admissions committee, UCLA Neuroscience Interdepartmental Program • January – March. 2011
Admissions committee, CEAIT computer music festival • CalArts • Sept. 2002 – Jan. 2003
Torrisi, et al. 2018 (Statistical Power Comparisons) profiled in Brain Waves (June, 2018) internal NIMH newsletter
Torrisi, et al. 2015 (BNST) referenced in On Edge: A Journey Through Anxiety (2017) by Andrea Petersen
S. Torrisi. F0 r Woody, 2013 solo for clarinet and recording. Frog Peak Experimental Music Collective
S. Torrisi. acute trio, 2004 computer-aided clarinet duet. Frog Peak Experimental Music Collective
Ethnography of Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD). PI: Alan P. Fiske.
Departments of Applied Linguistics, Anthropology & Psychology, UCLA • May 2006–Nov 2007.
Interdisciplinary study of socio-moral dysfunction in FTD. Ethnographic fieldwork.
Burning Man Census. PIs: Megan Mullet & Kateri McRae.
Department of Anthropology, UCLA • Summer, 2007.
Implemented software/hardware for data acquisition from thousands of surveys at a large arts festival.
Vanishing Identities in Caribbean Performance Art. PI: Dale Byam.
Interdisciplinary Arts and Performance, Arizona State University West • February, 1999.
Digital sound recording for a scholarly documentary about underground stick fighting in Trinidad.