Event Summaries About Health Disparities
- The NIMH Director’s Innovation Speaker Series: Addressing Ethnoracial Disparities in Mental Health Risk, Assessment, and Service Delivery
Description: Roberto Lewis-Fernández, M.D., was the guest speaker for the NIMH Director’s Innovation Speaker Series. Dr. Lewis-Fernández is a professor of clinical psychiatry at Columbia University and director of the New York State Center of Excellence for Cultural Competence and the Hispanic Treatment Program, and co-director of the Anxiety Disorders Clinic, at New York State Psychiatric Institute (NYSPI). In his talk, Dr. Lewis-Fernández reviewed key areas in need of research on cultural and ethnoracial disparities in mental health conditions and services.
- Workshop: Identifying New Directions in Mental Health Disparities Research: Innovations with a Multidimensional Lens
Description: NIMH and NIMHD conducted a virtual workshop that brought together a diverse group of mental health disparities researchers to highlight and identify innovative approaches to understand and address mental health disparities across major areas of mental health science and research.
- Strengthening the Research Workforce of Latina/Hispanic Female Investigators to Address HIV Contextual Factors Affecting Women with HIV
Location: San Diego, CA; Pre-Conference Learning Institute at American Public Health Association Annual MeetingDescription:
The NIMH Division of AIDS Research hosted a meeting to address diversity mentoring programs to strengthen the HIV research workforce of Latina/Hispanic female investigators with added focus to address contextual factors affecting women living with HIV.
- 2018 Global Mental Health Workshop: “Diversity: A Tool for Solving Grand Challenges in Global Mental Health”
Location: Bethesda Marriott, Bethesda, MDDescription:
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) Office for Research on Disparities and Global Mental Health (ORDGMH) and Grand Challenges Canada co-convened the annual Global Mental Health Workshop on May 1-2, 2018 to bring together global mental health researchers, innovators, and other stakeholders on the theme of “Diversity: A Tool for Solving Grand Challenges in Global Mental Health.”
- Harmonizing Clinical Data Collection in Community-Based Treatment Programs for First-Episode Psychosis
Location: Rockville, MD
Description: NIMH convened a meeting in September 2017 to understand stakeholders’ perspectives on opportunities and barriers to adopting a harmonized approach to (1) clinical assessment, (2) data collection, and (3) evaluation of services and outcomes across CSC programs for FEP, as envisioned in an Early Psychosis Intervention Network.
Sponsors: National Institute of Mental Health
- Transformative Opportunities for Solving the Grand Challenges in Global Mental Health
Location: Bethesda, MD
Description: The NIMH Office for Research on Disparities and Global Mental Health and Grand Challenges Canada co-convened a workshop that brought together global mental health researchers, innovators, and other stakeholders.