Outstanding Resident Award Program (ORAP)
2021 Call for Nominations
Nomination Deadline: March 29, 2021
Application Deadline: April 26, 2021
The NIMH Outstanding Resident Award Program (ORAP) was introduced to the psychiatry residency training community over 30 years ago to recognize residents with outstanding research and academic potential. The NIMH Intramural Research Program (IRP) has sponsored ORAP since its inception in 1988.
This announcement is for Program Directors of Psychiatry Residency Programs to nominate ONE current PGY-II Resident for consideration.
There are two steps in the ORAP process:
- First, the program director of a psychiatry residency program sends an email by March 29, 2021 to ORAP contact, Dr. Joyce Chung (email@example.com), stating his/her intention to nominate a resident.
- Second, all application materials are submitted through the application website by the deadline of April 26, 2021.
The application packet should include:
- Program Director nomination letter for ONE PGY-II psychiatry resident describing the qualifications of the nominee including previous and current research training and productivity, personal characteristics that set her/him apart, a description of clinical abilities and other significant accomplishments.
- The nominee’s Curriculum Vitae
- A brief description by the nominee of his/her research interests and plans for a career as a physician-scientist.
Winners of the award will be announced in June 2021 and be invited to participate in a two-day award program in the fall.
The ORAP Award includes:
- A framed certificate honoring selection as an NIMH Outstanding Resident Award recipient.
- An invitation to participate in a two-day award program where residents meet with NIMH leadership, investigators and clinical fellows to learn about the unique resources and research conducted in the IRP.
- An opportunity to present a poster about their own research.
We appreciate your assistance in identifying the next generation of researchers in psychiatry. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Joyce Chung, M.D. at 301-443-8466 or firstname.lastname@example.org.