Skip to content

Office of Technology Transfer MTA - What You Should Know

What You Should Know!
Step-by-Step Procedures

Follow these links to important Material Transfer Agreement Information

What You Need To Do To Transfer Materials In or Out of Your Laboratory In order to successfully transfer materials in or out of NIMH under a Materials Transfer Agreement (MTA), the following procedures apply:

Standard MTAs (Used with Non-Profits to receive/provide materials and with For-Profits to receive materials only)
  1. Obtain and read a copy of the SLA (Simple Letter Agreement for the Transfer of Materials), which is the most commonly used PHS-approved MTA used by NIH. In situations where the material is highly proprietary, ask the NIMH Technology Transfer Office to modify the SLA to include additional language, which will address confidentiality and other issues. (You may also use the model PHS MTA (or PHS Model Material Transfer Agreement available on this website.) Fill in the information in duplicate.
  2. Be sure that an adequate description of the material(s) being transferred and of their use(s) is provided.
  3. Signatures: Obtain both the investigator's signature and the signature of the person authorized to sign for and bind each party on duplicate copies. All SLAs and MTAs require the signature of the Lab/Branch Chief and the Technology Transfer Office.

MTAs from Other Parties (Used with Non-Profits or For-Profits when we wish to receive materials they are providing and they wish to use their own MTA)
  1. Send all originals of the other party's MTA to the NIMH Technology Transfer Office. Be sure to include any correspondence which describes the intended use of the materials and any contact information (for example, the name, phone number, and e-mail address of the providing scientist and, if available, of the technology transfer specialist or business development manager at that organization.
  2. Start this process several months in advance of the time you intend to use the material, if possible. At times, significant negotiation is required to successfully transfer materials using an outside MTA agreement.
  3. Signatures:All SLAs and MTAs require the signature of the Lab/Branch Chief and the Technology Transfer Office. You will be contacted by the NIMH Technology Transfer Office when the MTA has been signed so that the materials can be transferred to you as soon as possible.

UBMTAs (Used only with Institutions who have signed a Master Agreement)
  1. Check theAUTM (Association of University Technology Managers) website listing of non-profit organizations which have signed the Master Agreement to abide by the terms of the UBMTA (Uniform Biological Materials Transfer Agreement).
  2. Obtain and read a copy of the UBMTA Agreement & Summary available at this website. Download the Implementing Letter and Instructions and fill out the form in duplicate, assuring that complete descriptions of all the material(s) sought are listed.
  3. Attach a short (one or two paragraph) research plan describing the recipient's use of the material(s).
  4. Obtain each party's authorized signature on theNIMH Implementing Letter. All SLAs and MTAs require the signature of the Lab/Branch Chief and the Technology Transfer Office.
  5. No modifications may be made to this agreement without first being reviewed by the NIMH Technology Transfer Office.

Licenses (Used when an organization wishes to obtain a NIMH material for research or for commercialization purposes, whether or not the work is done in partnership, e.g., in a CRADA collaboration)
  1. E-mail or FAX (301-480-1384) the NIMH Technology Transfer Office the following information: (a) The company name; (b) contact information (i.e., a named individual and his/her title, phone number, and e-mail address, etc.); (c) the intended use(s) of the material; (d) whether or not NIMH will be collaborating with the organization; (e) whether the work anticipates straight commercialization; and (f) any other pertinent details.
  2. Mail the NIMH Technology Transfer Office any related correspondence that properly belongs in the record file.
  3. Instruct the company to contact the NIMH Technology Transfer Office for direction to the appropriate licensing specialist at the NIH Office of Technology Transfer (OTT).
  4. OTT will select the appropriate license agreement based on the above information (eg, a Biological Materials License, a Commercial Evaluation License, or an Exclusive or Non-Exclusive Commercialization License, etc.). OTT is the official signatory on license agreements involving NIH institutes and centers.
  5. If the material is licensed, a royalty return to its inventor(s)/developer(s), as well as a royalty return to the laboratory in which it originated, will be awarded.