NIMH’s Role in the NIH HEAL Initiative
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is playing a major role in the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Helping to End Addiction Long-termSM Initiative, or NIH HEAL InitiativeSM, an aggressive, trans-NIH effort to speed scientific solutions to stem the national opioid public health crisis. Launched in April 2018, the initiative is focused on improving prevention and treatment strategies for opioid misuse and addiction, and enhancing pain management.
For more information, visit: https://heal.nih.gov.
NIMH, in partnership with other NIH Institutes, has invited research to adapt the collaborative care model – a specific service delivery model for treating mental and behavioral health conditions in primary care settings – to meet the needs of individuals with opioid use disorder (OUD) and co-occurring mental health conditions. Large clinical trials conducted in community practice settings under real-world demands may be useful to develop, optimize, and test collaborative models. These trials could offer Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) for OUD alongside appropriate and evidence-based treatment for mental health conditions frequently encountered in primary care, such as mood and anxiety disorders.
NIMH-Supported NIH HEAL Initiative Projects
NIMH is coordinating the following research project around the country:
Optimizing Collaborative Care Model for Individuals with Opioid Use Disorders and Mental Health Conditions
For additional information on NIMH’s role in the NIH HEAL Initiative, please contact Megan Kinnane at email@example.com. For general inquiries about the NIH HEAL Initiative, please contact HEALquestion@od.nih.gov.
- About the NIH HEAL Initiative
- NIH HEAL Initiative Research Plan
- NIH HEAL Initiative Funding Announcements and Opportunities
- National Institute on Drug Abuse's Role in the NIH HEAL Initiative
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development-Supported Opioids Research
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke's Role in the NIH HEAL Initiative
- National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences' Role in the NIH HEAL Initiative
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health's Role in the NIH HEAL Initiative
- NIH Pain Consortium
- Federal Pain Research Strategy (PDF)
- NIH Digital Media Kit on Opioids
Last Revised: July 2019