Careers at NIMH
Working at NIMH
Diversity and inclusion in the biomedical research workforce spurs collaboration and innovation, improves the quality of research, and increases the likelihood that research outcomes will benefit everyone. We are committed to prioritizing and promoting diversity and inclusion in our science and our scientific workforce to achieve this mission.
Opportunities at NIMH
NIMH is looking for a wide range of passionate and inspired administrative and scientific people to support our mission of transforming the understanding and treatment of mental illnesses through basic and clinical research, paving the way for prevention, recovery, and cure.
Extramural Research Program (ERP) careers are scientific research positions that support research grants and contracts across the country through the extramural research programs.
Intramural Research Program (IRP) careers are scientific research or clinical positions in the internal research division of NIMH that may involve lab work or patient care. Over 40 research groups at NIMH conduct basic neuroscience research and clinical investigations of mental illnesses, brain function, and behavior.
Selected Extramural Research Program Opportunities
- Health Science Policy Analyst – Division of Extramural Research
- Staff Scientist - The Functional MRI Facility (FMRIF)
- Information Technology Specialist (IT Project Manager) - Office of Management (OM)
- Supervisory Web Specialist - Office of Science Policy, Planning, and Communications (OSPPC)
- Health Scientist Administrator (Program Officer) - NIMH Division of AIDS Research (DAR)
- Clinical Trials Program Coordinator - Clinical Trials Operation Branch (CTOB)
- Health Scientist Administrator (Program Officer) - Computational Psychiatry Program (CPP)
- Social and Behavioral Scientist Administrator (Program Officer) - Division of Services & Intervention Research (DSIR), Child and Adolescent Services Research Program (CASRP)
- Supervisory Management Analyst - Human Capital Section
- Health Scientist Administrator (Program Officer) - Genomics Research Branch
- Health Scientist Administrator (Program Officer) - Functional Neurogenomics Program
- Supervisory Management Analyst - Workforce Management Branch
- Associate Director for Prevention Research - Health Scientist Administrator (Program Officer) - Division of Services and Intervention Research
- Budget Analyst - Budget and Analytics Branch
- Grants Management Specialist - Division of Extramural Activities
- Health Scientist Administrator (Program Officer) - NIMH COVID Mental Health Impact
- Health Scientist Administrator (Program Officer) - Center for Global Mental Health Research (CGMHR)
- Health Scientist Administrator (Program Officer) - Division of Services and Intervention Research, Mental Health Services Research and Computational Methods Program
- Health Scientist Administrator (Program Officer), Minority Mental Health Program, Office for Disparities Research and Workforce Diversity
- Health Scientist Administrator (Scientific Review Officer), Division of Extramural Activities
- Health Scientist Administrator (Program Officer), Division of Services and Intervention Research, Disparities in Mental Health Services Research Program
Selected Intramural Research Program Opportunities
NIMH may be advertising other jobs on www.USAJOBS.gov, which lists job opportunities within the Federal Government. Users can create profiles, save resumes, and set up notifications for new job postings. For more on how to get started, please visit https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Getting_Started.
- USA Jobs - A database of all open recruitments for employment with the federal government.
- Federal Job Search - A National Technical Information Service (NTIS) database that lists abstracts of open Federal Government jobs.
- Research Training and Career Development - Extramural
- Research Training and Career Development - Intramural
Jobs at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Employment Information from the Department of Health and Human Services
- U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps - The uniformed service of the HHS