Office of Science Policy, Planning, and Communications (OSPPC)
Meredith A. Fox, Ph.D.
Julie L. Mason, Ph.D.
What We Do:
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH’s) Office of Science Policy, Planning, and Communications (OSPPC) analyzes, guides, develops, and disseminates information about mental health research priorities, programs, and policies by providing accessible, credible, consistent, and timely messaging to our stakeholders.
Electronic Communications Branch
- Oversees the design and management of NIMH internet and intranet websites;
- Ensures timely and accurate information is posted on the NIMH websites;
- Ensures all NIMH information is accessible to individuals with disabilities; and,
- Plans and conducts website evaluations and usability studies to improve the user experience.
Contact: Julie Mason, Ph.D., Acting Branch Chief; firstname.lastname@example.org
Reports and Analysis Branch
- Coordinates coding on behalf of the Institute for the NIH Research, Condition, and Disease Categories and NIMH-internal coding;
- Conducts analyses of the NIMH research portfolio;
- Supports evaluation activities to assess the impact of NIMH-funded research; and,
- Generates and reviews data prepared for reporting to outside entities regarding NIMH-funded research.
Contact: Didi Cross, Ph.D., PMP; Branch Chief; email@example.com
Science Policy and Evaluation Branch
- Articulates the public health relevance of NIMH-supported research;
- Coordinates the Institute’s strategic planning efforts and conducts evaluations to assess the impact of NIMH research, programs, and initiatives;
- Develops content to support communications between NIMH leadership and varied audiences;
- Partners with the NIMH Legislative Director to prepare Congressionally mandated reports and prepare NIMH leaders for Congressional hearings and briefings;
- Responds to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests and manages Paperwork Reduction Act (PRA) requests; and,
- Directs the NIMH Executive Secretariat, which ensures the efficient and accurate delivery of official correspondences and clearances of official documents.
Contact: Mindy Chai, Ph.D.; Branch Chief; firstname.lastname@example.org
Science Writing, Press, and Dissemination Branch
- Disseminates evidence-based mental health information to patients, caregivers, providers, researchers, advocates, news media, and other stakeholders;
- Communicates NIMH research findings, funding, training, and other opportunities through various channels, including press, digital media, outreach, and exhibits; and,
- Manages the NIMH Information Resource Center, which responds to public inquiries and requests for publications via phone, live chat, and email.
Contact: Natalie Zeigler, M.S.; Branch Chief; email@example.com
Office of Science Policy, Planning, and Communications
National Institute of Mental Health
6001 Executive Boulevard, MSC 9663
Bethesda, MD 20892-9663