Science News About the BRAIN Initiative
- NIH BRAIN Initiative Unveils Detailed Atlas of the Mammalian Primary Motor Cortex
The NIH Brain Research Through Advancing Innovative Neurotechnologies® (BRAIN) Initiative Cell Census Network (BICCN) has unveiled an atlas of cell types and an anatomical neuronal wiring diagram for the mammalian primary motor cortex, derived from detailed studies of mice, monkeys, and humans.
- NIMH’s Dr. Andrea Beckel-Mitchener Named Deputy Director of NIH BRAIN Initiative
Andrea Beckel-Mitchener, Ph.D., has been named deputy director of the trans-NIH Brain Research through Advancing Innovative Neurotechnologies (BRAIN) Initiative.
- New BRAIN Initiative Awards Accelerate Neuroscience Discoveries
The NIH has announced its continued support for the Brain Research through Advancing Innovative Neurotechnologies® (BRAIN) Initiative by funding more than 180 new BRAIN Initiative awards, bringing the total 2019 budget for the program to more than $424 million.
- NIH BRAIN Initiative Tool May Transform How Scientists Study Brain Structure and Function
Researchers have developed a high-tech support system that can keep a large mammalian brain from rapidly decomposing in the hours after death, enabling study of certain molecular and cellular functions.
- Fifth Annual BRAIN Initiative Investigators Meeting
On April 11-13, 2019, approximately 1,500 scientists from many disciplines will attend the fifth annual Brain Research through Advancing Innovative Neurotechnologies (BRAIN)® Initiative Investigators Meeting in Washington, DC. This open meeting provides a forum for discussing scientific developments and potential new directions, and to identify areas for collaboration and research coordination.
- NIH Greatly Expands Investment in BRAIN Initiative
The National Institutes of Health announces funding of more than 200 new awards, totaling over $220 million, through the Brain Research through Advancing Innovative Neurotechnologies (BRAIN) Initiative, an exciting trans-agency effort to arm researchers with revolutionary tools to fundamentally understand the neural circuits that underlie the healthy and diseased brain.
- NIH BRAIN Initiative Debuts Cell Census of Mouse Motor Cortex – for Starters
NIH BRAIN Initiative Cell Census Network (BICCN) has debuted its first data release, which focuses on motor cortex. In a related development, researchers have discovered cellular secrets of key social behaviors – mating, parenting, and aggression – in mouse hypothalamus.
- NIH Announces Awards for BRAIN Initiative Neuroethics Research
The NIH BRAIN Initiative has awarded grants to five teams of experts who will study the neuroethical issues surrounding the use of deep brain stimulation in neuropsychiatric and movement disorders and appropriate consent for brain research.
- NIH BRAIN Initiative Launches Cell Census
The NIH today launched a major effort to discover and catalog the brain’s “parts list.”
- NIH BRAIN Initiative Builds on Early Advances
NIH has announced funding for 110 new awards totaling $169 million for the BRAIN Initiative.
- NIMH Releases Strategic Research Priorities Update
National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) recently released its second annual update of the Strategic Research Priorities.
- Breakthrough Method Yields Trove of Neuron Subtypes, Gene Regulators
Scientists have discovered a trove of neuronal subtypes by identifying their unique epigenomic signatures.