George Dold, M.S.
Section on Instrumentation (SI)
The mission of the Section on Instrumentation is to provide comprehensive engineering support in a collaborative and synergistic environment for research as required by NIMH, NINDS, and NICHD scientists.
The Section on Instrumentation Core Facility provides a staff of engineers and technicians to fabricate custom electronic, mechanical, and electromechanical devices and instruments for a full spectrum of biomedical applications. These services include:
Electrical Engineering / Electronic Fabrication Services
- Custom Analog and Digital Design
- Custom fabrication of electronic and electro-mechanical instrumentation
- LabVIEW Programming
- fMRI compatible cables and testing devices
- Electrical noise analysis/reduction
- Broad range of Consultation Services for custom or commercial equipment or software
Mechanical Engineering / Machine Shop Services
- Fully equipped machine shop with a full complement of computer controlled and manual mills and lathes
- Advanced CAD/CAM programming and applications
- Custom electrophysiology component fabrication and design including slice and imaging chambers, and pipette and electrode holding devices
- MRI components including primate chairs and stereotaxic holding devices
- Custom radiopharmaceutical instrumentation for radioactive hot cell research
- Advanced Rapid Prototyping 3D printers: FDM (Fortus 250, 360), FDM reinforced (Markforged Mark 2), SLA (ProJet 6000HD), MJM (ProJet 3510HD),
- Advanced STL generation and Point-Cloud processing
- MRI Compatible materials
- Biocompatibility part processing
Recognizing the technical intensity of neurological and behavioral research, the Intramural Divisions of NIMH, NINDS, and NICHD contributed personnel, space and operating budgets to form a technical support group (currently the Section on Instrumentation, NIMH). For over fifty years this arrangement has efficiently provided for the similar technical needs of these institutes through a centralized group. It has also cultivated the sharing of technical developments, to the benefit of each Institute’s programs.
Mr. Dold is the Director of the Section on Instrumentation Core Facility of the Intramural Research Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. He received his B.S. in Electrical Engineering in 1990 and M.S. in Mechanical Engineering in 1995 from the University of Maryland. Mr. Dold joined NIH in 1998, working for the Section on Instrumentation (formerly RSB) as a National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) employee. He moved to NIMH in 2005.
In 2016 he was awarded the NIMH Director’s Award for his scientific contributions with the Section on Instrumentation team. He holds two U.S. Patents; Nos. 8,808,207 and 8,449,445 pertaining to improving voluntary initiation of swallowing in neurologically impaired patients.
Building 13, Room G360A, MSC 5712
BETHESDA, MD 20814
Phone: +1 301 435 3529
Fax: +1 301 435 3537