Staff Scientist 1 in The Office of the Scientific Director
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
Division of Intramural Research Programs (IRP)
Office of the Scientific Director (OSD)
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is a leading institution dedicated to understanding, treating, and preventing mental illnesses. We are seeking a highly qualified and motivated Staff Scientist with considerable research expertise in visual systems neuroscience, state-dependence of visual processing in the brain, cortical processing for peripheral vision, and decision confidence to join our dynamic research team.
- Work within a team to conduct cutting-edge research in the fields of visual systems neuroscience, and the neurophysiological basis of decision making.
- Design and implement research studies, ensuring rigorous methodology and adherence to ethical standards.
- Utilize advanced statistical analyses, large-scale neurophysiological techniques in non-human primates, advanced psychophysics, and neuroimaging to enhance research outcomes.
- Publish research findings in reputable scientific journals, contributing to the advancement of knowledge in the field.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams to foster a collaborative research environment.
- Mentor and teach postbaccalaureate IRTA team members, PhD students, and postdoctoral research fellows.
- Demonstrate creativity and a willingness to think outside the box, actively seeking opportunities for innovation and reinvention.
- Independently drive research projects and demonstrate self-motivation.
- MD or PhD in a relevant field.
- Researcher with considerable research experience in visual systems neuroscience, neural basis of decision making, neurophysiology, psychophysics, and computational modeling.
- Strong background in study design, statistical analyses, and extracellular recordings in non-human primates, psychophysics and computational modeling.
- Proven track record of publishing scientific papers in reputable journals.
- Excellent team player with the ability to mentor and teach junior team members.
- Creative thinker with a willingness to explore novel approaches to research.
- Commitment to the mission of the National Institute of Mental Health to strive towards reducing the burden of mental health.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate self-motivation.
The Staff Scientist will be appointed at a salary commensurate with their qualifications and experience. In addition, full federal benefits, including leave, and thrift savings plan (401K equivalent), will be provided.
How to Apply
The position is open to both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a statement of research interests, and contact information for three references to email@example.com by 2/29/2024. Please include "Staff Scientist Application" in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The position is subject to a background check
HHS and NIH are equal opportunity employers
The NIH is dedicated to building a diverse community in its training and employment programs and encourages the application and nomination of qualified women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities.